Yeddingham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Yeddingham, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 1½ mile NNW of Heslerton station on the N.E.R., and 9 miles NE of New Malton. Post town, York; money order office, West Heslerton; telegraph office, Heslerton railway station. Acreage of township, 585; population, 191; of the ecclesiastical parish, 185. About 1163 a priory for nine nuns of the Benedictine order was founded here by Helewysa, wife of Roger de Clerc, who endowed it with all his land in this place. The parish church was given to the nunnery by Auketin de Haslarton about 1230. The church is in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, and turret The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £192 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yeddingham Blessed Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yeddingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yeddingham (Blessed Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: