Wressell, East Riding of Yorkshire
Wressell, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, with a station on the N.E.R., 3½ miles NW of Howden. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Howden. The parish includes Newsholrne and Brind. Acreage, 3973 of land and 18 of water and foreshore; population, 306. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged at Domesday to G. Tyson, and passed before 1315 to the Percys. Lord Leconfield is now lord of the manor. Wressell Castle was built in 1380-90 by the Percys, formed a princely quadrangle with towers, was dismantled by Parliament in 1650 and burnt in 1796, and is now represented by only the ruin of one of its four sides. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £144 with residence. Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: