Wold Newton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Wold Newton, a township in Bridlington parish, E.R. Yorkshire, on the Wolds, 4½ miles from Ganton station on the N.E.R., and 8½ WNW of Bridlington. It has a post office under York; money order office, Foxholes; telegraph office, Hunmanby. Acreage, 2030; population, 292. The surface is a diversity of hill and dale. There is a copious spring called the Gipsey Well. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £183 with residence. Patron, Viscountess Downe. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style, and contains a Norman font and several stained windows. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a parish council of seven members.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Wold Newton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wold Newton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: