Withernsea, East Riding of Yorkshire
Withernsea, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Hollym parish, E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, at the terminus of the Hull and Holderness railway, 4½ miles NE by N of Patrington. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull, a railway station, a hotel converted into a convalescent home in 1892, a handsome church which has been restored, a chapel of ease, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Acreage, 245 of land and 60 of water and foreshore; population, 933. The living is annexed to Hollym. There is a lighthouse, erected in 1894-95.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Withernsea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Withernsea)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Withernsea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: