Wintringham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Wintringham, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3½ miles SE of Rillington railway station, 7 E by N of New Malton, and comprises the hamlet of Linton. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Rillington. Acreage, 5342; population, 307. The parish includes Knapton township. The manor belongs to the Chomley family. There are ancient British and Roman entrenchments. The living is a donative in the diocese of York. The church is in The Norman and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower with pinnacles and lofty spire; it was reroofed in 1888. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The vicarage of Knapton is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wintringham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Wintringham:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wintringham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wintringham (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wintringham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: