Willerby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Willerby, a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 2½ miles ENE of Ganton station on the N.E.R., and 7½ miles SSW of Scarborough. It comprises the hamlets of Staxton and Binnington. Post town, York; money order office, Ganton; telegraph office, Sherburn. Acreage, 4570; population, 446. There is a parish council of nine members and a chairman. The manor belongs to Lord Londesborough. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £230. The church is an ancient edifice in the Early English and Late Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and low western tower; it was restored in 1882. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Willerby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Willerby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willerby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Willerby (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Willerby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: