Wheldrake, East Riding of Yorkshire
Wheldrake, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Derwent, 7½ miles SE of York, and 4 from Naburn station on the N.E.R., with a post office under York; money order office, Elvington; telegraph office, West Cottingwith. Acreage, 4511 of land and 9 of tidal water; population, 528. The parish includes Langwith township. Population, 580. The manor belongs to Lord Wenlock. Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £303 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1771, and the interior restored in 1874. It consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wheldrake St. Helen|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Wheldrake:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wheldrake from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wheldrake (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wheldrake are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: