Wharram le Street, East Riding of Yorkshire
Wharram-le-Street, a village and a township in Wharram parish, E.R. Yorkshire, half a mile from Wharram station on the N.E.R., and 6 miles from Malton, with a post office at the railway station under York; money order office, Birdsall; telegraph office, Malton. Acreage of township, 2072 ½ population, 133; of the ecclesiastical parish, 296. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £263 with residence. Patron, Lord Middleton. The church is Norman, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and a tower, and was restored in 1863.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wharram-Le-Street St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Wharram Le Street:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wharram le Street from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wharram-Le-Street (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wharram le Street are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: