Wetvang, East Riding of Yorkshire
Wetvang, a village, a township, and a parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds near the Malton and Driffield railway, 5¾ miles W by N of Great Driffield, and has a railway station, and a post office under York; money order office, Sledmere; telegraph office, Driffield. The township comprises 3436 acres; population, 566; of the ecclesiastical parish, 724. There is a parish council of eleven members and a chairman. The parish includes Fimber township. The greater part of the property belongs to the Sykes family who are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage, with Fimber annexed, in the diocese of York; gross value, £270. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, transept, and embattled western tower. A handsome church was built at Fimber in 1870-71 by Sir Tatton Sykes, the architect being the late Mr Street, There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: