Westow, East Riding of Yorkshire
Westow, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the river Derwent, 1½ mile ESE of Kirkham Abbey station on a section of the N.E.R., and 5½ miles SSW of New Malton. It has a post office under York; money order and telegraph office, Kirkham Abbey. Acreage, 1189; population, 315; of the ecclesiastical parish, 445. The parish includes the townships of Eddlethorpe, Firby, and Menethorpe. The manor belongs to the Norcliffe family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £296 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1864. It is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a fine embattled western tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Westow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Westow:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Westow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Westow (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Westow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: