Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire
Welwick, a village and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 2 miles ESE of Patrington railway station, and 17 SE of Hull. Post town, Patrington; money order and telegraph office, Patrington. The parish comprises the hamlets of Plowland, Thorpe, and Weeton. Acreage, 3608 of land and 1489 of foreshore and water; population, 313. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £75. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and western tower. The S aisle, re-roofed in 1886, contains an ancient altar-tomb bearing the effigy of a priest. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Welwick St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Welwick:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Welwick (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Welwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: