Welton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Welton, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Selby and Hull section of the N.E.R., contiguous to the Humber, l½ mile E byNof Brough station, and 9½ miles W by S of Hull. It is a seat of petty sessions, and has a post and money order office under Brough; telegraph office, Brongh. Acreage, 1874 of land and 458 of water and foreshore; population of township, 659; of the ecclesiastical parish, 830. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The parish includes Melton township. The manor, with Welton Hall, belongs to the Broadley family. The living is a vicarage, with Melton annexed, in the diocese of York; net value, £490 with residence. The church was restored in 1863, is cruciform, and has a central pinnacled tower with clock and four bells, and contains several stained windows. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a police station.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Welton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Welton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: