Hampton, High, or Highampton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Torridge, 3½ miles W of Hatherleigh, and 5 from Hallwell and Beaworthy station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office, of the name of Highampton, North Devon; money order office, Black Tomngton; telegraph office, Hatherleigh. Acreage of the civil parish, 3815; population, 284; of the ecclesiastical, 260. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £165 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone, restored in 1876. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||High Hampton Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Highampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hampton, High (Holy Cross))
Online maps of Highampton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBurdon
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.