Wawne or Waghen, East Riding of Yorkshire
Wawne or Waghen, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4½ miles SE of Beverley, and 3 from Sutton-on-Hull station on the N.E.R., contains a village of its own name, and has a post and money order office under Hull; telegraph office, Sutton. Acreage, 3718; population of the township, 317; of the ecclesiastical parish, 396. The parish contains also Meux township. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The church is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Waghen St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wawne or Waghen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Waghen, or Wawn (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: