Warter, East Riding of Yorkshire
Warter, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 5 miles E by N of Pocklington, and 3 from Nunburnholme station on the N.E.R., with a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Pocklington. Acreage, 7880; population, 578. There is a parish council of eleven members and a chairman. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1132 by G. Fitz-Pain, and was given at the dissolution to the Earl of Rutland, and afterwards passed to Lord Muncaster as descendant of the Penningtons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £102. The church was rebuilt in 1864, at a cost of £4000, is in the Early English style, and has a tower and spire 120 feet high. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warter St. James|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Warter:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Warter (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Warter are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: