Walkington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Walkington, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles SW of Beverley station on the N.E.R., with a post office under Beverley; money order and telegraph office, Bishop Burton. Acreage, 3729; population, 950. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Walkington Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £755 with residence. The church is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, and a western tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The East Riding Lunatic Asylum is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Walkington All Hallows|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Walkington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walkington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Walkington (All Hallows))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Walkington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: