Thornton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Thornton, a village, a township, and a parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles SW of Pocklington railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Pocklington, under York. Acreage, 2327; population of the township, 151; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Allerthorpe, 820. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield. The parish also comprises the townships of Melbourne and Storwood. The living is a vicarage, united with Allertborpe and Melbourne, in the diocese of York; net value, £205 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western bell turret. It was restored in 1892.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thornton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thornton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Thornton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: