Thorganby with West Cottingwith, East Riding of Yorkshire
Thorganby-with-West Cottingwith, a village and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, 4½ miles from Escrick station on the G.N.R., and 10 SE of York. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at West Cottingwith under York. Acreage, 2938, of which 21 are water; population, 370. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £38 with residence. The church is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, and an embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorganby St. Elen|
|Poor Law union||York|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Thorganby with West Cottingwith:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorganby with West Cottingwith from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thorganby (St. Elen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: