Thixendale, East Riding of Yorkshire
Thixendale, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 9 miles SSE of New Malton, and 2½ from Burdale station on the N.E.R. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Malton. Acreage of the township, 3812; population, 234; of the ecclesiastical parish, 273. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £200 with residence. The church, built in 1870, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, and central turret. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Wharram Percy|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Thixendale:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thixendale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thixendale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Thixendale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: