Swanland, East Riding of Yorkshire
Swanland, a township in North Ferriby parish, E.R. Yorkshire, 7 miles W of Hull, and 1 mile from Ferriby station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Brough; money order and telegraph office, North Ferriby. The township includes the hamlet of Braffords. Acreage, 2873 of land and 651 of water and foreshore; population, 453. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||North Ferriby|
|Poor Law union||Sculcoates|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swanland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Swanland)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Swanland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: