Sutton upon Derwent, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sutton-upon-Derwent, a parish and a township, with Sutton village and Woodhouse hamlet, in E.R. Yorkshire, 5 miles SSW of Fangfoss railway station, and 8 SE by E of York. There is a post office under York; money order office, Elvington; telegraph office, West Cottingwith. Acreage, 3670; population, 299. There is an extensive flour mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £430 with residence. Patron, Viscount St Vincent. The church is an ancient building in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton-upon-Derwent St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sutton Upon Derwent:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton upon Derwent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton-Upon-Derwent (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sutton upon Derwent are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: