Sunk Island, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sunk Island, a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the Humber, 5 miles SSW of Patrington railway station. Post town, Hull; money order office, Ottringham; telegraph office, Patrington. Acreage, 7313 of land and 9244 of water and foreshore; population, 440. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The land has been gradually formed since about 1630 by accretion of silt deposited by the Humber, and has been subdivided under lease from the Crown; 700 acres of foreshore have been reclaimed in 1895. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church, erected in 1877 in place of an older building, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and at Stone Creek is a coastguard station.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sunk Island:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sunk Island from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sunk Island)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sunk Island are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: