Stillingfleet, East Riding of Yorkshire
Stillingfleet, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Ouse, 2 miles from Escrick station on the N.E.R., and 7 S of York, and bears the name of Stillingfleet-with-Moreby. It has a post office under York; money order and telegraph office, Escrick. Acreage of the township, 2584 of land and 23 of water and foreshore; population, 852; of the ecclesiastical parish, 649. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The ecclesiastical parish includes the township of Kelfield. The manor belongs to Lord Wenlock. Moreby Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £387 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church dates from about 1145, and is partly in the Norman style, and was restored in 1877. It consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, the Moreby chapel, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stillingfleet St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||York|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Stillingfleet:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stillingfleet from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stillingfleet (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: