Stamford Bridge, East Riding of Yorkshire
Stamford Bridge, a village and two townships in E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Derwent, and on the York and Market Weighton railway, 8 miles ENE of York; claims to have been the Roman Derventio; was the place where Harold in 1066 defeated Hardrada and Tosti, and has a railway station, a post, money order, and telegraph office under York, and a chapel of ease built in 1868. The townships are East Stamford Bridge and Stamford Bridge-with-Scoreby, and are in Catton parish. Acreage, 1122 and 1946; population, 383 and 157. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor of East Stamford Bridge. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and an endowed school in East Stamford Bridge.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stamford Bridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: