Spurn Head, East Riding of Yorkshire
Spurn Head, a headland in Kilnsea parish, E.R. Yorkshire, at the mouth of the Humber, 8 miles E of Great Grimsby, and 12 from Patrington station on the N.E.R. It was known to the Romans as Ocellum Promontorium, to the Saxons as Spuren Head; it terminates a peninsular tract which has been much wasted by the sea, and which once contained the now extinct town of Ravenspur. There were two lighthouses, high and low, until 1893, when a new lighthouse was erected at a cost of over £13,000. There is a post and telegraph office under Hull; money order office, Easington.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Spurn Head are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: