Sproatley, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sproatley, a parish, with a village, in the E.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles N of Hedon station on the N.E.R. It has a post office under Hull; money order office, Preston; telegraph office, Hedon. Acreage, 1372; population, 325. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Clifford-Constable baronet family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £280 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1820 and restored in 1886, is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, N porch, and embattled western tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, a county police station, and a charity producing about £300 per annum for apprenticing and educating fourteen boys and fourteen girls.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sproatley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sproatley:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sproatley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sproatley (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sproatley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: