Speeton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Speeton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Bridlington parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, with a station on the Hull and Bridlington railway, 4½ miles NNW of Bridlington. Post town, York; money order office, Bempton; telegraph office, Bridlington. Acreage, 1851 of land and 74 of water and foreshore; population, 151. The manor belongs to Lord Londesborough. Cliffs here abound in fossils, and swarm with sea-fowl. Numerous flint instruments have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £34. Patron, Lord Londesborough. The church was repaired in 1833 and again in 1892. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Speeton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Speeton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Speeton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: