South Dalton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Dalton, South, or Dalton Holme, a township and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, 3 miles from Cherry Burton station on the N.E.R., with a post and money order office of the name of Dalton Holme (S.O.); telegraph office, Cherry Bur-ton. Acreage of the township, 1848; population, 242. The parish contains the two townships of South Dalton and Holme-on-the-Wolds. Population, 400. Dalton Hall is the seat of Lord Hotham, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; value, £425 with residence. Patron, Lord Hotham. The church was built in 1861 at a cost of £25,000, is cruciform and in the Early English style, and has a western tower and spire, elaborately decorated and 200 feet high. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of South Dalton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: