Sledmere, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sledmere, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3 miles NNE of Fimber railway, station, and 8 NW of Driffield. It has a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Driffield. The parish bears the name of Sledmere-with-Croom, and comprises 7043 acres; population, 507. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The manor belongs to the Sykes family. Sledmere Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £287. The church is at present in course of rebuilding at the sole cost of Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sledmere St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sledmere:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sledmere from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sledmere (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sledmere are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: