Skirlaugh, East Riding of Yorkshire
Skirlaugh, a village, two townships, and an ecclesiastical parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Hull and Hornsea railway, 8½ miles NE by N of Hull, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull. The townships are North and South Skirlaugh, and are separated from each other by Lambwath Drain. Acreage, 2216 and 1067; population, 289 and 261. The manor of North Skirlaugh belongs to the Bethell family, and that of South Skirlaugh to the Clifford-Constable family. The ecclesiastical parish includes the two townships, and part of the townships of Arnold, Benningholme, and Marton. Population, 627. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church consists of chancel, nave, N chapel, and a western tower. The tower was thoroughly restored in 1879-80, and the church reseated in oak and pitchpine in 1893. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and a parish reading-room. Bishop Walter Skirlaw and the historian Bigland were natives of South Skirlaugh.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Skirlaugh:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skirlaugh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: