Skipwith, East Riding of Yorkshire
Skipwith, a township and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles from Riccall station on the N.E.R., and 5 NE of Selby, and has a post office under Selby; money order and telegraph office, Riccall. It has traces of possession by the ancient Britons, was held by Patrick de Schwywye immediately after the Norman Conquest, and gives name to the Skipwiths of Newbold. Acreage, 2646; population, 280; of the ecclesiastical parish, 605. The parish contains also the township of North Duffield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £286 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is in mixed styles, and was thoroughly restored in 1877. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a partially endowed Church of England school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skipwith St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Selby|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Skipwith:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skipwith from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skipwith (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skipwith are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: