Skipsea, East Riding of Yorkshire
Skipsea, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, 5 miles N by W of Hornsea railway station, and has a post office under Hull; money order office, Beeford; telegraph office, Hornsea. Acreage, 1566 of land and 104 of foreshore; population, 341. The parish contains also the townships of Bonwick and Dringhoe, Upton, and Brough. The manor belongs to the Clifford-Constable family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is in the Perpendicular style, was thoroughly restored in 1865-66, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skipsea All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Skipsea:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skipsea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skipsea (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skipsea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: