Skidby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Skidby, a village and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, 2½ miles WNW of Cottingham railway station, and 4 SSW of Beverley. There is a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Cottingham. Acreage, 1256; population, 327. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to Trinity College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £248 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is good, and consists of chancel, nave, and a tower. There are also a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Skidby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skidby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skidby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skidby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: