Skelton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Skelton, a township in Howden parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles SSE of Howden station on the Hull and Barnsley and N. E. railways. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Howden. Acreage, 1317; population, 285. A railway viaduct crosses the Ouse here over a stream-way of more than 800 feet in width, was opened in 1869, comprises seven spans resting on cast-iron pillars, and includes a central swivel bridge, 250 feet long. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skelton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skelton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skelton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: