Skeffling, East Riding of Yorkshire
Skeffling, a village and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on the Humber, 4½ miles SE of Patrington station on the N.E.R. Post town, Patrington, under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Easington. Acreage, 1829 of land and 8851 of water and foreshore; population, 139. The Clifford Constable family are lords of the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, and was annexed in 1868 to the vicarage of Easington. The church is ancient in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Skeffling St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Skeffling:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Skeffling from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Skeffling (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Skeffling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: