Sigglesthorne, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sigglesthorne, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3 miles NW of Hatfield, and 3½ WSW of Hornsea, and has a station on the N.E.R. and a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Seaton. Acreage, 1031; population of township, 217; of the ecclesiastical parish, 724. The parish contains also the townships of Catfoss, Great and Little Hatfield, and Seaton and Wassand. Sigglesthorne Hall and Wassand Hall are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £581 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sigglesthorne St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sigglesthorne:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sigglesthorne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sigglesthorne (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sigglesthorne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: