Shipton Thorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire
Shipton-Thorpe, a parish in E.R. Yorkshire, with Londesborough station on the N.E.R., and 2 miles NW of Market Weighton. There is a post office under Market Weighton, (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Market Weighton (R.S.O.) The parish comprises the townships of Shipton and Thorpe-le-Street. Acreage, 2150; population of the civil parish, 461; of the ecclesiastical, 454. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to Lord Londesborough. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £241 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The church is ancient, in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower. It was-thoroughly restored in 1883. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and an endowed school with £8 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Market Weighton|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shipton Thorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shipton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: