Sherburn, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sherburn, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile S of the York and Scarborough railway, and 10 miles SW of Scarborough. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under York. The parish comprises 4738 acres; population, 688. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The manor belongs to Viscountess Downe. Sherburn Wold is a large tract to the S of the village. Malting and brewing are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £120 with residence. The church is ancient, in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave, and part of a tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. A cattle market is held on alternate Mondays, and a statute hiring fair in the second week of November.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sherburn St. Hilda|
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sherburn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sherburn (St. Hilda))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sherburn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: