Sewerby with Marton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sewerby-with-Marton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bridlington parish, E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 2 miles NE of Bridlington and 1 mile from Flamborough station on the N.E.R., with a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Bridlington. Acreage of township, 2115 of land and 128 of water and foreshore; population, 628; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Marton and Grindall, 528. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Lloyd-Greame family, whose seat, Sewerby House, stands in a small park near the village. Marton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £294 with residence. The church was built in 1847, and is in the Norman style, with tower and small spire; all its windows are stained. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sewerby with Marton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sewerby with Marton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sewerby, with Marton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: