Seaton Ross, East Riding of Yorkshire
Seaton Ross, a parish, with a village, in E.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles NNW of Holme railway station, and 6 W of Market Weighton. It has a post office under York; money order office, Everingham; telegraph office, Holme. Acreage, 3427; population, 401. Bricks are made, and there are two corn mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £95. Patron, Lord Herries. The church is a plain building consisting of chancel, nave, and small bell-turret, and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Seaton-Ross St. Edmund|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Seaton Ross:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Seaton Ross from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Seaton-Ross (St. Edmund))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Seaton Ross are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: