Scorborough, East Riding of Yorkshire
Scorborough, a township and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles from Lockington station on the N.E.R., and 4½ N by W of Beverley. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Beverley. Acreage of township, 1386; population, 82; of the ecclesiastical parish, 394. The manor belongs to Lord Hotham. Scorborough Hall and Gomery Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory, united with Leconfield, in the diocese of York; net value, £240. Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scorbrough St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Scorborough:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scorborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Scorbrough (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Scorborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: