Scampston, East Riding of Yorkshire
Scampston, a village and a township-chapelry in Rillington parish, E.R. Yorkshire, 1½ mile from Rillington railway station, and 6 miles NE by E of New Malton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Rillington, under York. Acreage, 2135; population, 244. The property, with Scampston Hall, belongs to the St Quintin family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £64. The church is a small building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch, and a bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Scampston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scampston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Scampston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Scampston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: