Sancton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Sancton, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles SE by S of Market Weighton railway station. It has a post office (R.S.O.) under Brough; money order and telegraph office, Market Weighton. The township contains also the hamlet of Honghton, and bears the name of Sancton and Houghton. Acreage, 3112; population, 326. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The township of North Cliff, formerly in this parish, was annexed to North Cave under a Local Government Order in 1887. The manor belongs to the Langdale family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £332. Patron, the Archbishop. The church is good, and consists of chancel, nave, and western octagonal tower with pinnacles. It was rebuilt, with exception of tower, in 1869-71. A vicarage was erected in 1892. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and a Roman amphitheatre.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sancton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Sancton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sancton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sancton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sancton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: