Saltmarshe, East Riding of Yorkshire
Saltmarshe, a township in Howden parish, E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Ouse, 4 miles SE by S of Howden. It has a station on a section of the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Howden. Acreage, 822 of land and 142 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 100. Saltmarshe House is the seat of the Saltmarshe family, who date from the Norman times. There is a ferry across the Ouse to Reedness.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Saltmarshe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Saltmarsh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Saltmarshe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: