Rudstone, East Riding of Yorkshire
Rudstone, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3 miles N by W of Burton Agnes railway station, and 5 W of Bridlington; was known at Domesday as Rodestane, took that name from an ancient pre-historic monolith in the churchyard, now 25 feet above ground, and supposed to be nearly as much below, and has a post office under Bridlington Quay; money order and telegraph office, Kilham. The parish contains also the hamlets of Thorpe and Caythorpe, and comprises 5547 acres; population, 578. The manor belongs to the Boynton family. Thorpe Hall is the chief residence, and has grounds in which some Roman relics were discovered in 1830. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient, in the Norman and Decorated styles, and was restored in 1861. It is lighted by electric light, and possesses a very fine organ. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: