Routh, East Riding of Yorkshire
Routh, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles ENE of Beverley railway station, with a post office under Beverley; money order office, Leven; telegraph office, Tickton. Acreage, 2438; population, 169. The manor belongs to Lord Londesborough. Remains of a buried oak forest are in low lands here, and about 600 trees were dug up in 1838 within a space of 14 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £400 with residence. Patron, Lord Londesborough. The church is of the 14th century, consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower, and was restored in 1835.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Routh All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Routh:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Routh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Routh (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Routh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: