Harpford, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands in the valley of the Otter, 3 miles NW of Sidmouth, and 1 mile from Tipton station on the L. & S.W.R., and was formerly called Happerford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Ottery St Mary. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bowd, Southertown, and Burrow. Acreage, 1536; population of the civil parish, 219; of the ecclesiastical, 329. Court House was the seat of the Dyn-hams, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Venn Ottery, in the diocese of Exeter; value, £190 with residence. The church is ancient, and consists of nave, chancel, N aisle, and S porch, with an embattled tower, and was entirely restored in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harpford St. Gregory|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Harpford from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Harpford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harpford (St. Gregory))
Online maps of Harpford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBowood
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.