Rillington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Rillington, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile SE of the junction of the York and Scarborough railway with the branch line to Whitby, and 4½ miles NE by E of New Malton and 6 from Pickering, and has a station at the railway junction, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under York. The township comprises 2171 acres; population, 760. There is a parish council of eleven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £186 with residence. The church is good, is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, transept, and an embattled tower with beautiful spire. It was restored in 1884 and re-roofed in 1892. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rillington St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Rillington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rillington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rillington (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Rillington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: