Preston, East Riding of Yorkshire
Preston, a township and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township stands 1 mile N of Hedon station on the N.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Hull; telegraph office, Hedon. It comprises 5004 acres; population, 948; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1064. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The Clifford-Constable family are lords of the manor. The living is a rectory in The diocese of York; net value, £269 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is a fine edifice in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and western tower. It was thoroughly restored in 1882. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Preston All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Preston (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Preston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: