Harford, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Erme, 2¼ miles N of Ivy Bridge station on the G.W.R., and 5½ N by W of Modbury. Post town, money order, and telegraph office, Ivy Bridge. Acreage, 3418; population, 172. The scenery along the Erme is romantic. Nearly one-fourth of the land is moor. A Druidical circle, with a kistvaen in the centre, is on a hill near the church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £165 with residence. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, chancel, and 6 aisle, with a tower, and contains a fine brass. The churchyard contains an old granite monument resembling a crom-lech. There is a chapel of ease, which was formerly a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harford)
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Harford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.